- 1. On 18 August 2011, U Thein Sein Government issued an announcement to start a dialogue with the Ethnic Armed Organizations (EAOs) for Peace and National Reconciliation of Myanmar.The Government organized the “ Myanmar Peace Center” in order to carry out the negotiation with the EAOs for ceasefire and sustainable peace.
- 2. Although hundreds of Political Dialogues and Ceasefire Negotiation were held, a lot of pre-conditions, difficulties, misunderstanding were faced between the Government and EAOs. The misunderstanding has been occurred because the conflicts were going on in some areas despite both sides were trying to build the trust.
- 3. Trust building is the key political foundation inthe National Reconciliation. Although theabsolute trust could not buildamong stakeholders at that time, the Ceasefire Agreements and Meeting Decisions between 2011 and 2015 have been approved according to the context because of the limited time-frame.
- 4. Regardless of having guidelines, regulations and Terms of Reference (ToR) for the smooth discussion, the understanding before formal dialogue is required among negotiators because Peace based Political Dialogues are the first experience in Myanmar. Therefore, advanced negotiations and informal platform are essential not only between Negotiators from each side (the Government, Tatmadaw and EAOs) but also between these Negotiators and Political Parties or Civil Society Organizations (CSO) or other relevant stakeholders.
- 5. Therefore, Center for Peace and Reconciliation (CPR) is established to fulfill these requirements.
Center for Peace and Reconciliation was founded to support the Peace and reconciliation process being implemented by government according to The Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement and Framework for Political Dialogue.
Center for Peace and Reconciliation was established as the following objectives:
- (a) To involve the peace processes by the supporting role
- (b) To deliver trainings to people in conflict areas for their capacity building among organizations
- (c) To get and scrutinize the requirements, ideologies, reliable information of people in conflict areas and Ethnic Armed organizations
- (d) To compile the reports by collecting information analysis, stakeholders’ meeting suggestions and requirements of conflicted areas in real time
- (e) To meet and discuss with Government, Parliament, Military (Tamadaw), Political parties and ethnic armed organizations by presenting suggestions in order to support the national reconciliation based on peace
- (f) To give services, conduct negotiations, carry out researches and hold peace forums for peace discussions and to publish books and papers on peace and development
- (g) To support Joint Ceasefire Monitoring Committee (JMC) by implementing DDR / SSR issues
- (h) To support for the end of armed conflict and sustainable peace
- (i) To implement the National unity and Our Three Main National Causes as well as the Eternal Principles
U Hla Maung Shwe
U Nyo Ohn Myint
U Hnin Oo
U Kyaw Tin
U Kyaw Lin Oo
Dr. Ngun Cung Lian
Dr. Khin Maung Yin
Ma Su Nwe Aung
Ma May Kyi Han
Ko Kyaw Ye Aung
Ko Shwe Pyi Aye